Day 1
Mommy & M fly to California without Daddy.
(My experience was seriously identical to hers.)
D told it all oh so well, except for the part about M's diaper...
M did fabulously well for her very first flight. She's a trooper for sure. A trooper and a pooper. Let me begin by saying that several weeks ago D emailed me a list of helpful
items to pack in the diaper bag while traveling. You know, the basics... extra diapers, trash bags
for dirty clothes, good treats, basically extra of everything. Being the obedient little sister that I am, I followed all of her advice to the T... all of it, that is, except an extra change of clothes for
me. "I can handle a little spit-up on my shirt if I need to," I thought. I did, after all, spend four
months in a Romanian Orphanage with more than just spit-up on my clothes. Well, about an hour into the longest leg of the trip, Chicago to Reno, M passed a little gas. Good girl! Sometimes she has a hard time getting that gas out. A few minutes later, I began to feel
something warm seeping through my shirt. As I lift my darling little baby away from my body, it seems that that all I can see is yellow goo (poo) dripping from every part of her tiny self. At this moment I drop my head and, yes, begin to cry. Thank heavens for big sisters.
"You can do this," D says.
"No I can't," I reply.
"You have to," D says.
She begins asking me if I have all the necessary emergency extras while juggling her cute seven month old on her lap and searching for these items in my diaper bag.
Diapers? Check.
Lots of wipes? Check.
Another blanket? Check.
A change of clothes for M? Check.
A bag to put the stinky, soiled clothes in? Check.
A change of clothes for mommy? Silence.
A change of clothes for mommy? Silence again.
Oops, I must have forgotten those.
Never mind that for now... So I'm sitting in an isle seat with two extremely large
men to my left (yes nursing was quite the adventure on that flight...) and D across the isle from me. All I really remember at that moment was her handing me wipe after wipe after wipe after wipe as I pretty much give M a bath with the wipes, since the goo (poo) was ALL over.
(No really... hair, ears, up her back, up her front, on her face, legs, and arms, in between fingers...) The wipes keep coming, and the poor people surrounding us on that packed to the max flight... there was nothing else I could do. Finally M was all cleaned up, smiling like nothing had ever happened, and wearing a fresh new clean outfit. Stupid Mommy. Remember that extra outfit I didn't bring for myself? Yes, well, for the remaining 8+ hours of travel, I had a nice yellow blob smeared all over the front of my, no, not black, WHITE t-shirt. Yes I smelled great, thanks for asking. I learned my lesson... ALWAYS listen to your big sister.
Days 2 - 10
Let's just say we had way too much fun once we finally arrived in California.
(And were able to shower and change out of those icky clothes.)
-Lots of smiles with Grandma & Grandpa M
-Meeting new cousins and aunties and uncles
-Too many trips to In & Out (Is that possible?)
-Too many doughnuts (That IS possible.)
-Beautiful sunny skies and perfectly warm weather
-The color GREEN everywhere we looked
-Pedicures with sisters
-Girls night out at a hotel with leopard print robes
-A day of organizing (Dreams do come true.)
-Visits with wonderful old friends
-One day of throwing up (okay, not so much fun.)
-Many walks around the block
-A trip to Target just because there was one to go to
-Jumping on the trampoline with cute nieces
M loved her first trip to California...
It was even worth that one (very) bad diaper on the airplane.
9 comments:
Sounds like Maya is a traveler! You are such a brave person, I would have spent a thousand dollars in an airport gift shop for a new pair of clothes! Have fun in Puerto Rico! Kev and I are going there next spring! I wish we would have been in Salt Lake for your visit! We'll have to meet another time :)
Puerto Rico?!?!? When did THAT happen?
Good for you for taking Maya to California and not completely breaking down on the plane!!! As a mother of two boys who NEVER had the poop up the back experience, I am completely convinced that it is a GIRL thing. All of my friends with baby girls have this happen oh too many times. What the heck is that about?!?!
Oh, my dear Melissa! I'm sorry about the crazy flight experience. Yuck. I've been there, but never with crazy diapers. Yikes! So are you really going to Puerto Rico seriously? I want more info! I'm soooo jealous!
That diaper story beats my Baltimore to SLC diaper story hands down. Actually compared to your story, mine does not even count! We are so glad you are back in time to go to Puerto Rico. Our bags are already packed!!!
Wow Melis! That sounded exactly like my sister's experience with her son- yup, he actually had poop up his back as well. I guess it does happen to boys every once in a while! I'm so glad you survived and it was so so fun to see you! I with that we could have caught up more... I have lots and lots of questions for you! Ü
Okay, laughing all over again. That picture of Maya? Are you kidding me? I need one of those.
Oh, you poor, poor thing. I was feeling all bad for Dalene, but I think you had it the worst. What a nightmare! Good thing the rest of the trip was fun.
Ya...we love traveling with babies! It's so hard and people never cut you slack when you have a screaming baby.
Post a Comment